- Job ID 37141
- Career Level Manager
- Experience Fresh
- Industry Development
- Qualifications Certificate
At Build-A-Bear we believe in the power of imagination, creativity, and memorable experiences. Our mission is to add a little more heart to life by creating unique experiences, lasting connections, and beloved memories that create lasting emotional connections. We are a multi-channel, site-based experience and entertainment company, with diversified categories and consumer segments. We are seeking a strategic and inspirational District Manager to join our dynamic team.
The District Manager is a role model leader who embodies Experience First and understands the importance of delivering a consistently high-level store experience. This individual is the liaison between the Field organization and headquarters and is a member of the Field Leadership Team.
The District Manager is accountable for the overall success of the total district, as well as the results of the individual stores. The District Manager consistently delivers associate development, visual presentation, store operations and achieves financial goals by building and retaining a high-performing group of store teams.
- Motivates, retains, and develops a strong district team through teaching and coaching
- Consistently models the Experience First standards and behaviors
- Coaches the team to utilize company tools and resources
- Supports company business strategies by providing clear direction and consistent training
- Creates and communicates clear action plans that optimize results and ensure effective execution of all activities
- Communicates clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing
- Creates ownership and commitment to common goals through collaboration and recognition
- Driving Results
- Keeps self and team focused on achieving financial goals and revenue targets
- Coaches the team to achieve goals in revenue generating initiatives
- Uses reports to analyze the business, identify opportunities and make real-time strategic decisions
- Maximizes profitability by achieving sales objectives, managing expenses, and monitoring store profit and loss reporting
- Identifies, recruits, hires, and retains a high performing management team
- Builds a strong succession plan for the district, maintaining qualified bench candidates
- Trains and develops the team to maximize the successful execution of Experience First, sales, merchandising, and operational goals
- Consistently assesses and provides ongoing performance feedback on skills, job accountabilities and Success Characteristics through real-time coaching, scheduled touch bases, individual development planning and the performance review process
- Partners with Chief Workshop Managers to identify store core and seasonal staffing needs
- Drives store engagement by recognizing and rewarding employees for outstanding performance
- Confronts and addresses performance issues or conflicts in a timely and consistent manner, in partnership with HR Director
- Operational Excellence
- Manages payroll and timekeeping procedures through the store teams and ensures accuracy in reporting, while delivering overall District performance to meet company goals
- Tracks and analyzes sales trends to accurately forecast sales and labor usage
- Ensures that workshop schedules are completed and posted on time and that scheduling reflects the needs of the business
- Monitors and ensures accuracy of cash management policies and procedures in the stores
- Enforces all BABW store security and cash management policies and procedures
- Protects company assets and communicates issues to Director of Stores and Director of HR
- Understands and ensures compliance with all Federal, State/Provincial, and/or local laws and regulations that govern the store’s operation
- Uses good judgment and partners with the Director of Stores to make necessary decisions within the company’s guidelines
- Builds a collaborative relationship with BQ partners to filter information as needed
- Merchandising and Marketing
- Monitors and ensures accuracy of merchandise receiving and transfers, markdowns, damages and all other administrative paperwork and procedures affecting inventory control
- Maintains daily awareness of merchandise in stock by working with store teams to ensure stock levels meet the needs of the business; communicates any issues to Director of Stores and/or BQ.
- Ensures stores are aware of and understand the importance of current marketing campaigns and promotions
- Partners with the stores and Bearquarters on current market trends or local marketing opportunities in the district
- Ensures a high level of visual presentation, housekeeping and maintenance standards across all stores, in line with company expectations
- Minimum of high school diploma or GED equivalent
- 3-5 years of multi-store experience with a proven, successful track record of delivering results in a customer centric business, preferably in specialty retail
- Bachelor’s degree
Behavioral Traits for Success:
- People and relationship focused; quick to connect and leads by motivating others.
- Proactive and takes initiative. Committed to results with a sense of urgency around goal achievement.
- Collaborative; involves others in decision making while working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to understand quickly, react and motivate others to adapt to a rapidly changing environment. Responds positively to pressure.
- Seventy-five percent travel
- Typical office environment with climate control and sufficient lighting, ergonomic desk/chairs
- Corporate Office located St. Louis, MO
- Transparent communication – explain your methods and explain how data was used and applied.
- Available and willing to address concerns and questions.
- Trust your teammates and work together to achieve common goals. Seek the opinions of others. Take accountability for your actions.
- Acknowledge success, recognize individual and team contributions, and have fun along the way.
Your Performance Will Measured On:
- Build and lead high performing people and teams
- Year over year growth of the business
- Effective execution of brand standards and company initiatives
- Stakeholder feedback
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Supervisors may assign additional functions and requirements as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent an expressed or implied contract of employment, nor does it alter your at-will employment, and Build-A-Bear, Inc. reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as may deem appropriate.